Sunday, February 20, 2011

Waffles

An experienced GFCF mom gave me her recipe for waffle mix and I made a large batch today.

Dry mix ingredients:

6 c. white rice flour (Hint: look in the asian section of your grocery store for cheaper rice flours. The green one looks like it contains gluten but it does not. It is simply a sweet rice flour.)


3 c. tapioca flour / tapioca starch (they are the same thing)


1 1/2 c. potato starch (Note: unlike tapioca starch / flour, potato starch is NOT the same thing as potato flour! You can substitute corn starch for potato starch. I didn't have potato starch so that's what I did this time.)
1 T. salt
2 T. xanthan gum
3/4 c. sugar
4 T. baking powder


Mix together in storage container. (Close tightly and shake. These flours are very light and stirring them together makes a mess. Let settle a few minutes before opening container!)
To make waffles use 2 cups mix and add:
2 eggs
1/4 c. oil
1 1/2 cup rice milk (I used half rice milk and half almond milk)
1 tsp. vanilla (check to be sure it is gluten free)
I bought a new waffle iron because (#1) my old one was really old and (#2) I wanted to be sure I wouldn't contaminate the waffles with gluten from years of making regular waffles in it. I chose this one with 4 smaller waffle sections so they would fit in the toaster to reheat from frozen.

Top with fresh fruit or GFCF buttery spread and pure maple syrup (processed syrups can have gluten).


Mmmmmm. Waffles. And they're not just for breakfast anymore. My friend said her son uses waffles for gluten free sandwiches and even as hamburger buns!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs