Saturday, January 21, 2012

Calzones

I spend some time in the kitchen every weekend preparing food to get us through the week. This morning I made a double batch of calzones using this recipe. We each had one for lunch and I'm freezing the rest.
As the recipe directs, mix dry ingredients and put in mixer bowl. Then add water with proofed yeast (below).
Mix. Please excuse the dirty mixer. I've been busy this morning! It's clean now.
The recipe suggests rolling all the dough out and cutting circles out for each calzone. I just took 1/2 cup of dough at a time and patted each one out individually.
I made pizza sauce (tomato paste, water, olive oil, fresh garlic & Penzeys Pizza Seasoning) and gathered some toppings.
I've been paying a little more for pepperoni in order to avoid added nitrates / nitrites. The Applegate brand is really good and the kids like them because they are big!
Assemble and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
The ones marked with "P" are just pepperoni. The others all have veggies added. I made a double batch and ended up for 14 calzones.
They are really good and folding the dough over solves the awkwardness of having cheese free pizza. It doesn't look so naked!

1 comment:

  1. These look good! I think I will try them. You should see my mixer--horribly dirty--at least we know it gets used! :0)

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs