Sunday, April 24, 2011

GFCF Easter

The pressure was on. I hosted the family Easter dinner today. It had to be gluten and casein free and it had to be GOOD. Especially dessert because I had to make sure nobody missed the milk chocolate bunnies. I decided to make a strawberry trifle.

I baked a gluten free yellow cake and then cut it into about a hundred little pieces. I pretended I was hosting a party for a hundred supermodels. Do you think they'd even eat a piece of cake that big? Yeah, probably not.

Then I whipped up some non-dairy, casein and gluten free whipped topping. We use Healthy Top. It's made from almonds and cashews and it's delicious.

I sliced 3 cups of strawberries and heated them in a saucepan with 3/4 cups water and 1 1/2 cups sugar. I heated the strawberry sauce to boiling and then boiled it for 3 minutes.

I removed the sauce from heat. Then I mixed together 4 Tablespoons of cornstarch with 3/4 cups cold water and added it to the heated strawberries. Heat again until thickened.


I added 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice and then cooled the sauce.


And sliced more strawberries into a bowl.

I added the sauce to the strawberries and thanked my lucky stars I'm not a supermodel. Some things are worth the calories.

I put a layer of whipped topping in the bottom of the trifle bowl and added some of the teeny tiny pieces of cake.

The next layer was strawberries.

Then more whipped topping.


And more cake and more strawberries. Top with whipped topping and a strawberry. Ta da! Dessert was a huge hit!


Dinner included oven roasted potatoes, asparagus, and carrots, ham, fruit salad, and broccoli salad.



A second dessert option was German chocolate cake.
Desserts-2
Supermodels-0.
And nobody missed the milk chocolate bunnies.

1 comment:

  1. I knew you would take this GFCF diet by storm. Looks very,very tasty!

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs