Saturday, November 5, 2011

GFCF bread machine recipe- and a great quote!

I've been playing around with recipes for GFCF bread for the bread machine and I came up with one that is a definite hit with the family! I'm still tweaking it because it tends to fall in the middle after rising all nice and pretty, but that problem lessened significantly when I decreased some of the liquid (I started out using 1.5 cups of coconut milk.) The following pictures are from the first loaf I made and the loaves I've made recently are not nearly as indented in the middle.

Liquid ingredients:

1 1/4 cup room temperature coconut milk (or other milk alternative) with 2 T apple cider vinegar added

3 eggs room temperature (I didn't leave the coconut milk or eggs out to warm up so I put them in some warm water as shown below)

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup honey
To the liquid ingredients add:


1 T. yeast


3 1/3 cup GF flour mix (I use Silvana's All Purpose Flour Blend - I use this for a lot of recipes and make up a batch at least once a week.)

2 tsp. xanthan gum (there is some in the flour blend but not enough for this recipe)


1 tsp. salt


Bake in a regular bread machine (you don't need the fancy one with a GF bread cycle) and about 3 hours later you have a delicious loaf of gluten / casein free bread! (*Always scrape the sides of the bread machine pan with a spatula a few minutes after starting the mix cycle. Gluten free bread doesn't pull itself together in a ball like regular bread dough so some of it tends to stick to the sides and it needs a little help to mix in.)

Now all you need is some PB & J. Mmmmm.



Quote of the week:



"Mom, there is a girl who has to eat hot lunch at school every day and she always asks me if she can have some of my food." ~Java




2 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a better bread recipe because mine always falls when I make it in the bread machine, too. I think I'll give yours a try. I checked out the flour mix you use and was confused by it because I believe that tapioca flour and tapioca starch actually *are* the same thing. It's potato starch and potato flour that are two different things. At any rate, the blend I use is primarily white and brown rice flour, with a smaller portion of starch. I'm thinking that the one you use will be much lighter because of all of that starch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    You're right. The person I linked to must have been confused. I bought the cookbook "Cooking for Isaiah" where the flour blend recipe is from and I highly recommend it. There is a great pizza crust recipe that uses this same blend. ~Kari

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs