Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cube steak- Love Me(at) Tender ♫

Early in our marriage I was excited about finding an inexpensive package of steaks at the grocery store so I planned a special meal. It was round steak and I had no idea how to prepare it. We could have made shoes out of the stuff! It was so tough I couldn't eat it, but my sweet husband just smiled and chewed and chewed and chewed...

So when we bought our half beef from a local farmer and the butcher asked me if I'd like the round steak mechanically tenderized, I remembered that meal and said, "Yes, please." We now have several packages of "cube steak" in our freezer and I made some for supper last night.

I started with a savory beefy mushroomy sauce. To make: sautee green onions and fresh mushrooms in a few tablespoons of ghee or olive oil until soft. Add fresh garlic and seasonings (I used salt, pepper and Penzey's Bouquet Garni) and cook another minute or so. Add several tablespoons of your GF flour mix (or just use rice flour) and make a roux. Then slowly add about 2 cups of beef broth and stir several times while it thickens. Let it simmer while you prepare the beef.
In another skillet, brown flour coated cube steaks for a few minutes on both sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Cover the steaks with the beefy mushroomy gravy and bake for about 20 minutes. I made creamy GFCF mashed potatoes (using Earth Balance butter and almond milk) and carrots to complete the meal.



It was so much better than that steak supper I made 27 years ago. All this nostalgia has me channeling a little Elvis this morning.... ♫ Love meat tender, love meat true, all my dreams fulfull....♪ ♪

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs