Friday, July 29, 2011

Grilled pork chops with salsa and rice

It happened again!

I cut in to a few peppers I picked from our garden and found this... My cell phone camera didn't really capture the detail but if you look closely you'll see three happy faces!

I did a little "happy face peppers" research (in other words, I googled it) and I found this article. Apparently we aren't the only recipients of a pepper miracle. That's a good thing. The world needs more happy faces.


I was cutting up peppers for salsa for last night's supper. I'll get to that in a moment. First, the pork chops. I marinated boneless pork chops for a few hours in the following mix: 1 cup water, 2/3 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos (a great gluten free alternative to soy sauce!), 1/2 cup Canola oil, 3-4 cloves of fresh garlic, a splash of lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
Then I grilled them on a hot grill for 5-7 minutes on each side. A meat thermometer is your best friend with pork because you really don't want to overcook it. Once the center hits 145 degrees, it's done. Let it rest a few minutes before serving.


I made our family favorite lime cilantro basmati rice and a big bowl of fresh salsa and Java made coleslaw.

The flavors blended together beautifully. My mouth is watering again just thinking about it. Thank goodness we have leftovers!


Speaking of leftovers, I always make extra rice for quick fix lunches. The lime makes it quite flavorful so it's great to eat alone but I like to douse it with salsa and add some beans or leftover meat. (You'll notice that I have two large bags of rice pictured. One has cilantro because I had mixed it in before supper. I prefer to add fresh cilantro so most of the leftover rice is saved in the refrigerator without it.)


I can't wait for lunch time.

1 comment:

  1. La Choy soy sauce is also GF. Rice has been a staple here for years. One of our favorite breakfast meals is to fry an egg and serve it over top a bowl of rice. My kids then douse it with soy and Tabasco. Filling meal with a good carb and protein.

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs