Sunday, December 18, 2011

Have a healthy holiday!

I sent a text to my friend Claudia last night...

"Making vegan, refined sugar free Christmas cookies with hemp seeds. Santa is going to love a plate of these with a big glass of flaxmilk."

She replied, "That sounds so gross!"

I'm going to have to bring some of these cookies to Claudia's house and let her try them before telling her what they are. She'd never guess that these delicious little cookies are actually good for you!

I was looking for something comparable to the peanut butter chocolate star cookies that I made every year before eliminating gluten and casein from our lives. I decided to try the second, healthier version, recipe on this blog with a few modifications.
I didn't want to have to make chocolate discs (call me lazy) so I used GFCF chocolate chips. I also used hulled hemp seeds in the cookie instead of flax seeds. *Read about the health benefits of hemp here, including an answer to the question, "Will hemp make you high?"

They are delicious! Bean asked if he could have these in his lunchbox this week! (They have 3 days of school left before Christmas vacation.) I doubled the recipe but I think I'll have to make another batch!


1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup palm sugar
3 T. hulled hemp seeds mixed with 1 T. hot water
1 t. vanilla
1/4 cup sifted coconut flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 t. xanthan gum
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/4 cup palm sugar
GFCF chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, blend the coconut oil, peanut butter, palm sugar, hemp seeds, egg, and vanilla. In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients, whisking well. Beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Shape the dough into 1.5 inch balls. Roll the balls in palm sugar. Bake for about 10 minutes. Do not over-bake! Remove from the oven and immediately top each one with GFCF chocolate chips, pressing down gently.



Have a healthy holiday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs