Sunday, December 18, 2011

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

I finally started Christmas baking. Usually by this time in December I have dozens of cookies in the freezer, but this year I had to scrap my regular cookie recipes and find new gluten and casein free ones. I was a bit nervous about messing with Christmas tradition.

Silly me. I made two kinds of cookies last night and the kids LOVED both of them! This one is my favorite so far. I'd put it up against any cookie on any Christmas cookie plate anywhere.

I used this recipe but modified it slightly. Instead of using a GFCF flour blend to roll the chilled dough in, I used powdered sugar. I wanted to make them as single, not sandwiched cookies, and the powdered sugar gave them just enough sweetness to ditch the recommended frosting.
It also made them look like the ground in Minnesota this Christmas where we have just a smidgen of snow this year. ♪ I'm dreaming of a brown Christmas. ♫

I love the slight peppermint flavor of this chocolate cookie. Here is the recipe with the modifications I made. Enjoy!


1/2 cup Earth Balance GFCF buttery sticks, softened
1/3 cup cane sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 eggs
1 ½ cups All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt



Blend butter and sugars, add eggs and extracts. Add blended dry ingredients and mix. Wrap in waxed paper and chill in freezer for one hour or in refrigerator overnight.



Dust chilled dough in powdered sugar and roll to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut in circles and bake on parchment paper lined cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs