Saturday, May 21, 2011

A day in the kitchen

I spent some time in the kitchen today. I made a delicious Mexican dinner that I can simply heat up after church tomorrow.

I also made a few desserts...

I made a white cake that we will top with strawberries, a chocolate cake that I couldn't decide what to top with...and rhubarb crisp from a favorite recipe that I adapted to make gluten and casein free.

GFCF Rhubarb Crisp

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup Silvana's all purpose GF flour blend (from Cooking for Isaiah Cookbook)
3/4 cup GF quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup melted Earth Balance vegan "butter"
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 cups sliced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine brown sugar, flour blend, oats, Earth Balance and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and mix together until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Top with the rhubarb.

In a saucepan combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, 1 cup of water and vanilla. Cook together until clear. Pour over rhubarb.

Cover rhubarb with remaining crumb mixture and bake at 350° for about 50 minutes.

Oh, and I made a decision about what to top the chocolate cake with. Chocolate frosting AND Coconut pecan frosting. We will have some tomorrow (all the kids and their significant others will be here after church) and then we'll freeze the rest in little containers for lunches and snacks.

Why choose when you can have both? (Both of these Duncan Hines Homestyle Frostings are GFCF!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs